You may get the opportunity to see your grandparents this beautiful season. When you go home for the holidays, be sure to make a point to visit your grandparents! It need not be a “Merry Christmas, Grandpa!” visit. It could be so much more, for you and your grandparents. Here’s some ideas to make sure your visit is super sweet:
- Talk to them, not about them with your family members. Look at them and get them talking
- Share with them things you did that day or recently that they may not know about. Ask them what they like about the holidays.
- Know their volume (My grandma looks at people but often cannot hear what they are saying unless you are about a foot away from her).
- Give them a hug or at least some form of sweet affection. Hold their hand.
- Smile at them. Don’t make them think you were forced to visit.
- Do something to help make their life easier. Ease their fear.
- Bring them somewhere they love. To a lake, the grocery store, in the living room to her favorite chair?
- Introduce them to something new. Tell them about some really cool new technology.
- Ask them about old memories.
- Do something that can bring back the old memories. Turn on some old music they used to dance to. Bring out a familiar scent (apple pie?)
Would love to hear what makes your visits with grandparents sweet!